Let me just say I’m all for fats! They taste amazing and some have amazing health benefits too! Unfortunately, cooking these healthy fats often breaks down their chemical structure turning them into rancid fats that you definitely don’t want to put in your healthy body.
Here’s a little trick for cooking veggies without oil:
- Put 1 cup of water at the bottom of your pan.
- Throw in some chopped shallots and garlic. I like to add chopped mushrooms at this point for flavor. Cook for a minute.
- Depending on your veggies, start with the hardest to cook first like broccoli or zucchini or anything with a hard stem. Cook until slightly translucent.
- Add in your nightshades like tomatoes or peppers.
- Add in leafy greens and cover to for a steaming effect.
- Once everything is cooked, top with some cayenne, turmeric, or any spice you like!
Serve this as is or on top of a bowl of grains or along side your favorite meal. Feel free to pour on the olive oil AFTER the cooking is done. That way you’ll get only the healthy benefits from the fat!